What: Knit Wits.
Where:Moffitt Cancer Center Lobby.
Time: Every Wednesday from 1-2 p.m. December 2011.
Goal: 60 squares make a blanket. 5 blankets before the New Year?
Fellas... let's see some of you get out of those cubes, and hidey holes, and join us gals in this project.
- Any man who "mans up" and joins us will receive knitting lessons.!
- It's a great break from staring at the screens, and all around good "Mitzvah."
- Between 1-2 a harpist and cellist play in the MCC lobby. (very cool)
- Instructions for the knit and crochet square and more information on this wonderful charity are located at: http://www.knit-a-square.com/
FOR ONE 8"/20 cms SQUARE, you will need:
Yarn from a 100 gram (3.5 oz) ball of yarn or scraps of yarn or wool
8 ply (Aus), worsted (USA), double knit (UK)
Size 6mm needles (Aus) 4 (UK, Canada) 10 (USA)
A yarn sewing needle.
1. Cast on 32 stitches (try to make your stitches neither too loose nor too tight to help ensure uniform squares)
2. Row 1: knit
3. Row 2: knit. These two rows form the 'garter' stitch knitting pattern for your square
4. Continue knitting as per these two rows until you have knitted a square
5. To ensure you square is 8"/20cm either use a tape measure or form a triangle by folding one corner of your square over to meet the opposite corner as shown - if all sides are equal - then you have a square!
6. Cast off
7. Use your yarn sewing needle to sew in all the yarn ends using a darning method
Leave a one metre (one and a quarter yards) length of your yarn attached to your work after you have cast off. This will be used to join the squares together.
P.S. Thanks to Lee Ann Howlett for suggesting this great project.